Chicken and Okra stew. This hearty Chicken and Okra Stew is something like Brunswick stew, that old-fashioned Southern favorite—only the Haitian version is certainly fierier, thanks to the habanero. If you don't like it quite so spicy, use a seeded, minced jalapeño, which is somewhat fruitier and not as powerful. This simple and tasty Chicken Okra stew combines basic ingredients like okra, chicken, and carrots, then takes the dish to another level with the addition of African spices.
Gently mix everything together, being careful not to crush the okra. Recent report shows you may want to stop eating take-out chicken and replace it with your own home-cooked chicken recipes. This Greek chicken stew with okra and potatoes can also be made with rabbit, something that for me makes it even more appealing and traditional. You can cook Chicken and Okra stew using 25 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Okra stew
- Prepare of The Stew.
- Prepare 2 of chicken thighs.
- You need 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt (optional).
- You need 2 tsp of cajun/creole seasoning (Like Tony Cachere's).
- Prepare 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 3 of carrots, sliced at an angle.
- You need 5 cloves of garlic, minced or grated.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin.
- It's 1 tsp of sage.
- It's 2 tsp of paprika.
- It's 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- It's 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3 cups of chicken broth, bone broth, etc. Your choice.
- It's 4 of roma tomatoes, blended.
- Prepare 1 of small can diced tomatoes.
- Prepare of About 25-30 whole okra.
- Prepare of Some chopped La Costena canned chilies, or chili powder (spicy!).
- It's of The Rice (Shaami Style).
- Prepare 2 cups of basmati white rice (or long grain white).
- You need 1/2 cup of broken vermicelli noodles.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
And for those of you who are afraid of the slimy okra, let me tell you that the acidity of the tomatoes and the lemon juice doesn't let any sliminess to develop. Cooked chicken is microwaved with tomatoes, onions, butter beans, corn and okra in this quick and easy stew. Season to taste, serve with rice, season with hot sauce, and garnish with green onions. Chicken Okra Stew - Flavorful One-Pot Meal
Chicken and Okra stew step by step
- Before cooking, marinate chicken thighs in the cajun seasoning and yogurt. (Yogurt has enzymes that help it become very tender, but it could be subbed for oil or even pineapple juice.) Leave in fridge for anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight..
- Once marinated, get a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil. Brown chicken thighs each side for 3 minutes (they do not need to be completely cooked)..
- Remove chicken, and save the juices. Saute the onion in the remaining juices for 3 minutes, then add carrots, and cook for 2 additional minutes. Then, add garlic and ALL spices and cook for 1.5 minutes..
- In a large pot, add the sauteed veggies, broth, blended tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and optional chilies..
- Cover mixture and let simmer for 15 minutes..
- While stew is simmering, shred chicken and rinse okra..
- For the rice: rinse rice until the water runs clear. I like to put it in a bowl and get in there with my hands. Let the rice soak in water for 10 minutes, or until you can break a grain between your thumbnail and finger. Brown the broken vermicelli on medium heat, about 3-4 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn! Drain the rice, add it to the same pot as the pasta. Add 3.5 cups of water, bring it to a boil, cover, and turn back down to low for 15 min. Fluff it.
- Add the shredded chicken and okra into the stew, and simmer it for 8 minutes. Remove from heat..
- Serve the stew on top of the rice. Feel free to be creative with the recipe and sub as needed! Enjoy..
Tori Avey. · Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos! Juicy pineapple and crispy spiced chicken, tucked into tortillas, and rolled up with creamy jalapeño ranch slaw. chicken and-okra-stew nutrition facts and nutritional information. Cooked chicken is microwaved with tomatoes, onions, lima beans, corn and okra in this quick and easy stew perfect for leftovers. Chicken Brunswick Stew. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. The Chicken and Okra Stew, except, unbeknownst to me, Jim Romanoff had decided to add a new chapter to the story of the stew.