Sakkarai pongal. Chakkara pongal or sakkarai pongal are the other names. Sweet pongal is a delicious South Indian dish made with rice, moong lentils, ghee, jaggery or sugar, cardamoms and nuts. Sakkarai pongal recipe, a temple style flavourful sweet pongal with jaggery, edible camphor, cardamom, cloves and the essential ghee and cashew nuts.
Sweet Rice Pongal / Sakkarai Pongal is an auspicious neivedhyam dish for many festivals. Sakkarai Pongal is one of the common and popular dish in Tamil Nadu and South India. Sweet Pongal is also known as sakkarai pongaL In Tamil language and is a sweet dish made during festive occasions in South India. You can cook Sakkarai pongal using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sakkarai pongal
- You need 1 cup of long grain rice,soaked and grind.
- It's 1/4 cup of moong dal(dried moong beans) rinsed,soaked 30 minutes.
- You need 3 cup of whole milk.
- You need 1/4 cup of ghee.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cashew halves.
- It's 3 tsp of golden rasins.
- It's 1 1/4 cup of grated jagrgey or brown sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of cardamom powder.
- Prepare 1/2 cups of almonds.
Another similar variation is this Chakkara Pongal made with sugar. Sakkarai pongal recipe or sweet pongal recipe: we don't celebrate pongal festival back in Kerala. This should explain why I am posting this traditional pongal festival recipe in March. Sakkarai Pongal has to be the king of desserts for Tamil people all around the world.
Sakkarai pongal step by step
- Bring dal and 4 1/2 cup water to boil in a sauce pan..
- Reduce heat to medium,cook until dal is tender,after than add grind rice and cook for 12-14 minutes..
- Add milk and cook strring occasionally to prevent scorching until dal is mushy,20-22 minutes..
- Take another pan heat add ghee then add cashews and rasins until rasins are plump for 2-3 minutes..
- Add into rice with jaggery and cook until jaggery is melted or pudding is thickened..
- Garnish with some dry fruits and pista..
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
The word Pongal means "overflowing" which signifies prosperity. Pongal is a major festival in Taminadu. Sakkarai Pongal is a delicious sweetened rice dish made with the addition of jaggery and flavored with cardamom. Sakkarai Pongal is most often made a. Make this Sakkarai Pongal recipe for breakfast along with Ven Pongal and Medu Vada for a Sunday breakfast and end it with a cup of filter coffee.