The Famous Nutmeg Casserole. The one that is going to sell cookbooks. More than likely, Georgia Perron submitted this casserole because her husband and children liked it the best, or because she got the most compliments on it when Tastes like noodles. With salt and nutmeg on them.
The sour cream sauce in this casserole gets its full flavor from gravy and nutmeg. Dry gravy mix thickens and flavors this stroganoff casserole; choose beef or pork gravy mix according to your family's. You'll also need the usual ingredients for French toast - eggs, milk, a little cinnamon, some nutmeg, butter, and maple syrup. You can have The Famous Nutmeg Casserole using 35 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of The Famous Nutmeg Casserole
- Prepare of Meat layer.
- Prepare 2 pounds of ground sirloin.
- It's 1/3 cup of dates.
- You need 1/2 cup of raisins.
- It's 1 of medium onion diced.
- Prepare 2/3 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/3 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic.
- Prepare 2 of large eggs.
- Prepare 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- It's 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- It's of Rice.
- You need 3 tablespoons of butter.
- It's 1-1/2 cups of long grain rice.
- Prepare 7 ounces of vermicelli pasta.
- It's 3 tablespoons of butter.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 pint of cabbage water see method below.
- It's 1 pint of chicken broth.
- It's 1-1/2 cup of water.
- It's 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It's of Cabbage.
- Prepare 1 of medium sized head of savory cabbage.
- It's 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It's 1 quart of water.
- You need of Tomato layer.
- You need 2/3 quart of your favorite spaghetti sauce.
- You need As needed of water to get the goodie out of jar.
- It's 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan divided.
- You need of Topping.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- It's of Bottom.
- Prepare 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs.
I'm throwing pecans into this casserole as well, because YUM. Grease or spray oil in an oven proof casserole dish. Add the cooked macaroni and meat/onion mixture. Whisk together milk and eggs; add the nutmeg and Pour this mixture over the macaroni and meat in the casserole.
The Famous Nutmeg Casserole instructions
- Chop the cabbage add to a pot and salt it. Add the quart of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn down to a simmer. Cook till tender. Drain the liquids and set aside..
- Get the vermicelli and look it over make sure none are stuck together. Melt the butter and coat the vermicelli. Start the browning process stirring often. Don't let it burn..
- When almost browned add salt stir well remove from heat. Slice the celery leaves and all..
- Melt the butter for the rice. Add the rice when totally coated add the spices..
- Stir often to get the rice just a good brown. Mix the broth and cabbage water..
- Add the celery and broth. Bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes then add the browned vermicelli..
- Cook till liquids are absorbed. Add the 1-1/2 cups of water. Stir getting all the goodies off the bottom. Slice the dates remove any pits..
- Measure the raisins and dates. Season the beef. Mix it well..
- Dice the onions. Add the eggs. Add the cheese and breadcrumbs. Mix thoroughly incorporate well..
- Add the breadcrumbs coating the bottom of a deep pan. I used a 10-1/2 inch pan that is oven safe. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Press half the meat mixture on top of the breadcrumbs. Add the rice over the meat mixture. The cover the rice with cabbage..
- Get the spaghetti sauce pour half over the cabbage. Add water to the jar to get all the goodies out of the jar. Add half the cheese then cover with meat mixture, cabbage and rice..
- Add the spaghetti sauce over the rice. Then the rest of the cheese. Melt the butter..
- Add the breadcrumbs to the melted butter and mix. Add the buttered breadcrumbs to the top of the cheese. Put into the oven..
- Let it bake for an hour. Check the internal temperature. Cover put back in oven for 30 minutes. Check the temperature at 30 minutes more total of 90 minutes 160° Fahrenheit. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Serve I hope you enjoy!!!.
Arrange the pecans in a single layer on top. It's a perfect combination of spices easy. Say hello to Crock Pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole. AKA the most delicious way to eat cinnamon rolls ever. It only takes mintues to prep and cooks up crispy around the edges and gooey in the middle.