You can have Masoor Biryani using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Masoor Biryani
- It's 125 grams of Whole Masoor.Soak lentils in water for 2 hours.
- You need 200 grams of Long Grain Basmati Rice. Soak Rice in water for 30 mins.
- Prepare 2 of medium sized Onions-finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of medium sized Tomatoes-finely chopped.
- You need 1 Cup of Fresh Coriander Leaves.
- It's 1 Cup of Fried Onions.
- Prepare 4 of Bedki red chilies.
- It's 4-5 of Green Chilies.
- You need 1-1/2 inch of Ginger.
- It's 5-6 cloves of Garlic.
- You need 1 tsp. of Cumin Seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of Black Peppercorn.
- It's 1-1/2 tbsp. of whole Coriander seeds.
- It's 1 inch of Cinnamon stick.
- It's 2 of Bay Leaf(tejpatta).
- You need 1/2 tsp. of Turmeric Powder.
- You need 4-5 of Cloves.
- You need 5-6 tbsp of Ghee.
- You need As needed of Kesar(saffron) soaked in warm milk.
- Prepare As needed of Charcoal for smoky flavour (dungaar).
- It's As required of Oil.
- It's To taste of Salt.
Masoor Biryani step by step
- Boil water in a pan. Add Bay leaf,. Oil and enough Salt to season the water. We will let the water come to boil and then add soaked Rice. Cook rice until it is 85 percent cooked..
- Rice gets cooked in 4-5 mins on a high heat. Drain the excess water and spread the cooked rice in a large plate.
- We will pressure cook Masoor Dal. Add water just above the level of Dal and add turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Pressure cook until 1 whistle on medium heat..
- Heat 4-5 tbsp. Oil in a pan and add sliced Onions. Fry until Onions become brown in colour. When Onions turn brown, add masala paste. Bhuna Masala paste for 3-4 mins..
- Now to make a masala, In a grinder jar, put ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, whole coriander seeds, black pepper, dried red chilies and green chilies. Grind into a fine paste with just enough water..
- After tomatoes turn soft, add boiled masoor. Mix well and switch off the heat.
- Grease the bottom and sides of Handi with ghee. Put boiled and cooked masoor. Spread fried onions, half the quantity of rice. Put saffron milk, coriander leaves, some more fried onions and some ghee on top. This completes the first layer of Biryani.
- For second layer, put masoor dal, fried onions, remaining quantity of rice, saffron milk, coriander leaves, ghee and some more fried onions. This completes the final layering..
- For Dhungar: Heat charcoal until it turns red. Transfer the hot coal in a bowl and add 2-3 cloves and pour some ghee. Cover with a lid for couple of mins. After 2 mins, remove the bowl..
- Seal Biryani Handi with dough and place Biryani Handi for 2 mins on high heat. Thereafter, transfer the handi on an iron griddle placed on a medium heat and cook for 10 mins. Switch off the heat..
- Serve with Raita..